Total Raised - $3271

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

California Dreamin'

The weather is beautiful, the people are nice, the scenery is gorgeous, and the earth hasn't quaked once since I've been here! What's not to like?

Between LA and Bakersfield, I got to experience some of the legendary traffic jams the California highways have to offer. When traffic cleared, I got some spectacular views of the mountains.



I underestimated just how much I would be delayed, so I was a few minutes late. Battalion Chief Ross Kelly had invited the local media, so I did an on camera interview, fresh from the road. The photographer/reporter from the local paper, who happened to be a University of Maryland alum just like me, stayed at the firehouse for the evening, snapping shots of the guys devouring a delicious meal of fish tacos. I don't know why this dish isn't more popular outside of California, because every version I've had here has been awesome. The guys at Bakersfield Fire Station 1 upheld the California standard, treating me great all night. The "Golden State" has definitely been my favorite so far.




I'm almost sad to leave, but the journey is halfway over, and from now on every trip is heading home. I didn't realize how much I'd be yearning for home, and Stacy sending me photos of the dogs really puts it into perspective. I'll be home with the ones I love in 8 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

M.O.C.A.

Motorcycling for Ovarian Cancer Awareness

This summer, I’m riding my Harley across the country and back in 16 days. I’ll be stopping at firehouses along the way to promote awareness about ovarian cancer, because everyone should know the symptoms. While the fire department is a field dominated by men, we have mothers, wives, daughters, girlfriends, and sisters.

I’m asking you to support my journey by donating to the HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. My goal is to raise $6000 for HERA’s mission, a dollar for every mile I ride. They have set up a webpage for me where you can make a tax-deductible donation. HERA is not supporting my journey financially. All of the proceeds that HERA receives will go directly towards their mission. Through a combination of corporate sponsorship and my own funds, I will cover the expenses associated with my journey.

To find out more about HERA and their efforts to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer, visit their website, www.herafoundation.org

-Oleg