Total Raised - $3271

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Reno

With a glorious ride through the mountains behind me, I pulled in to the Biggest Little City in the World on Tuesday evening, ready to stretch my legs. I got to Station 3 at about the same time as the crew, who had been training in Carson City all day. My trend of brushes with fame continued, as I met fireman/novelist Shawn Grady, author of Through the Fire, Tomorrow We Die, and the upcoming Falls Like Lightning, a suspense thriller about smokejumpers in the Sierra Nevadas.

Reno's fire department, it turns out, has been decimated by the City Council, and they regularly "brown out" a third of the city's companies. Only one of Reno's four ladder trucks was in service during my visit. What a shame.

The crew of Engine 3 was awesome, though, and I got to talk shop with a few of the guys. Thanks for the hospitality, fellas!

1 comment:

  1. Right on, Oleg! Great having you visit. All the best on the last leg of your journey!

    ReplyDelete

M.O.C.A.

Motorcycling for Ovarian Cancer Awareness

This summer, I’m riding my Harley across the country and back in 16 days. I’ll be stopping at firehouses along the way to promote awareness about ovarian cancer, because everyone should know the symptoms. While the fire department is a field dominated by men, we have mothers, wives, daughters, girlfriends, and sisters.

I’m asking you to support my journey by donating to the HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. My goal is to raise $6000 for HERA’s mission, a dollar for every mile I ride. They have set up a webpage for me where you can make a tax-deductible donation. HERA is not supporting my journey financially. All of the proceeds that HERA receives will go directly towards their mission. Through a combination of corporate sponsorship and my own funds, I will cover the expenses associated with my journey.

To find out more about HERA and their efforts to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer, visit their website, www.herafoundation.org

-Oleg