Total Raised - $3271

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

On to Roanoke

I set out from Henrico on the first of what will be many miles of solos riding. Along the way, I pulled over for some shots, but they don't begin to capture how much gorgeous scenery I saw whizzing by. More coming, as (safe) opportunities present themselves. Sometimes, there just isn't enough time to pull over...





With daylight running out, I pulled into Roanoke Station 5 and was greeted with lasagna, salad and homemade cheesecake. Hunger overwhelmed my photographic instincts, but I managed to get a shot of the dessert before wolfing it down. The crew had gotten a late start on dinner anyway because of a first due 2-alarm fire, so my tardiness was barely noticed. As luck would have it, Capt Willie Wines Jr, of IronFiremen.com fame was Battalion 2 that night, and he was kind enough to document my visit and give me a plug on his blog (there are some great shots of the fire on there as well). You can check it out here. Capt Wines is the guy behind the impressive mustache. Before the night was through, the Chief of the Department stopped by to visit, and Mike Elston and his beau Debi took me for a quick tour of historic downtown.Before the night was through, the Chief of the Department stopped by to visit, and Mike Elston and his beau Debi took me for a quick tour of historic downtown.

The idea of a ride for ovarian cancer seems to resonate with a lot of the guys in the firehouses. Every place I've visited, someone has shared with me a story of a friend or relative who has battled cancer, and many have mentioned wives or mothers who have had a scare, been diagnosed with, or died from ovarian cancer. I'm inspired by these stories to keep riding.



No comments:

Post a Comment

M.O.C.A.

Motorcycling for Ovarian Cancer Awareness

This summer, I’m riding my Harley across the country and back in 16 days. I’ll be stopping at firehouses along the way to promote awareness about ovarian cancer, because everyone should know the symptoms. While the fire department is a field dominated by men, we have mothers, wives, daughters, girlfriends, and sisters.

I’m asking you to support my journey by donating to the HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. My goal is to raise $6000 for HERA’s mission, a dollar for every mile I ride. They have set up a webpage for me where you can make a tax-deductible donation. HERA is not supporting my journey financially. All of the proceeds that HERA receives will go directly towards their mission. Through a combination of corporate sponsorship and my own funds, I will cover the expenses associated with my journey.

To find out more about HERA and their efforts to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer, visit their website, www.herafoundation.org

-Oleg