Total Raised - $3271

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We Have a New Champion

The first 300 miles of Tuesday's ride were flat, hot and boring, not to mention smelly from Central California's agricultural establishments. The only bright spots were a great chicken sandwich from an unasuming roadside grill and a billboard I couldn't resist for Gnarly Head Wines in Lodi. Turns out shipping wine to Maryland is a felony, so I couldn't send a bottle back to Stacy. But, I did strike up a conversation with a patron that led to an impromptu on the spot donation!

However gruelling they were, it's as though the first 300 miles were the price of admission for the last quarter of the day, and it was well woth it. The road up to Donner Pass is nothing short of amazing, and when the tall pines part to reveal the snow caps of the Sierra Nevada mountains for the first time, it is astounding. One might even say, "super impressive". The road winds up the mountain through the most spectacular scenery I've experience throughout this trip. Unfortunately, there are very few places to (safely) stop to photograph the scenery, so I didn't come close to capturing all of the majesty. But Wikipedia did:

Here are some of my own (less spectacular) photos -





Regrowth after what I'm assuming was last year's wildfire (if you look closely, there are char marks at the bases of the trunks) -


There were lots of these little cabins right of the highway. This one is on the South Yuba River -


No comments:

Post a Comment

M.O.C.A.

Motorcycling for Ovarian Cancer Awareness

This summer, I’m riding my Harley across the country and back in 16 days. I’ll be stopping at firehouses along the way to promote awareness about ovarian cancer, because everyone should know the symptoms. While the fire department is a field dominated by men, we have mothers, wives, daughters, girlfriends, and sisters.

I’m asking you to support my journey by donating to the HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. My goal is to raise $6000 for HERA’s mission, a dollar for every mile I ride. They have set up a webpage for me where you can make a tax-deductible donation. HERA is not supporting my journey financially. All of the proceeds that HERA receives will go directly towards their mission. Through a combination of corporate sponsorship and my own funds, I will cover the expenses associated with my journey.

To find out more about HERA and their efforts to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer, visit their website, www.herafoundation.org

-Oleg