Total Raised - $3271

Friday, June 10, 2011

Little Rock

The road west of the Mississippi was the roughest patch of pavement yet. I was a little late getting in to town because I stayed in Memphis too long, but the guys at "One's" saved me a plate. Actually, it's "One's" and "Eight's" here, two engine companies, and Ladder 1, the Chief and the Bomb Unit. That's the reserve unit Truck 1 is running in above. The guys also taught me a new term that I'll try to bring back East: their engine guys are called "hosemen" (singular is pronounced: HOZ-min).

Beat from the road, I went upstairs for a "nap" that turned into an all nighter. I woke up just in time to take over the breakfast cooking duties while the three companies in the house took runs. When things calmed down, the guys (and gal) showed me around, entertained me and regailed me with information about the LRFD. Check out the last photo - a tribute to a brother who passed away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

M.O.C.A.

Motorcycling for Ovarian Cancer Awareness

This summer, I’m riding my Harley across the country and back in 16 days. I’ll be stopping at firehouses along the way to promote awareness about ovarian cancer, because everyone should know the symptoms. While the fire department is a field dominated by men, we have mothers, wives, daughters, girlfriends, and sisters.

I’m asking you to support my journey by donating to the HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. My goal is to raise $6000 for HERA’s mission, a dollar for every mile I ride. They have set up a webpage for me where you can make a tax-deductible donation. HERA is not supporting my journey financially. All of the proceeds that HERA receives will go directly towards their mission. Through a combination of corporate sponsorship and my own funds, I will cover the expenses associated with my journey.

To find out more about HERA and their efforts to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer, visit their website, www.herafoundation.org

-Oleg