Total Raised - $3271

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Salem and 81-South

Tuesday morning, I stopped by Mike Elston's and Tracy Coe's firehouse in nearby Salem, East Side Engine 2. Cheryl Hodges from the Roanoke Star-Sentinel newspaper dropped in to interview me, and Mike sent me on the road, with instructions to stop in Bristol, VA. He told me they'd be waiting for me. 

With a liberal dose of sunscreen applied, I hit the road through Virginia. Along the way, I spotted a swath of buildings in various states of disarray. Clearly, a tornado had touched down here.



20 some miles later, I was in Bristol, on the border between Virginia and Tennessee. Mike wasn't kidding when he said that they would be waiting. The Fire Chief of the Bristol VA Fire Department (different from Briston, TN, as you'll find out) was in the station, with a local TV news crew. A quick on camera interview to plug my ride, and we were off to see the sights. Chief Bolling showed me State Street, which serves as the border between the two Bristols. The street signs bear both state designations, but the really unique feature is more down to earth: bronze markers in the double yellow lines.



After geography, I learned about history. Chief Bolling took me out to lunch a the Burger Bar on Piedmont Ave. The place has been there since 1942, and has an important country music history connection: On the way to a concert, the driver bearing Hank Williams stopped in for a coffee. He asked Hank if he wanted anything, and he declined. The driver got his coffee and hit the road again, discovering once he reached their destination that Hank Williams had died, making the Burger Barn the last place he was seen alive. History aside, the service was great and so was the chili burger. 

I got a couple of snapshots of one of their historic rigs in the firehouse before I left, too. Thanks to Chief Bolling and the guys from Bristol Fire for the support!





No comments:

Post a Comment

M.O.C.A.

Motorcycling for Ovarian Cancer Awareness

This summer, I’m riding my Harley across the country and back in 16 days. I’ll be stopping at firehouses along the way to promote awareness about ovarian cancer, because everyone should know the symptoms. While the fire department is a field dominated by men, we have mothers, wives, daughters, girlfriends, and sisters.

I’m asking you to support my journey by donating to the HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. My goal is to raise $6000 for HERA’s mission, a dollar for every mile I ride. They have set up a webpage for me where you can make a tax-deductible donation. HERA is not supporting my journey financially. All of the proceeds that HERA receives will go directly towards their mission. Through a combination of corporate sponsorship and my own funds, I will cover the expenses associated with my journey.

To find out more about HERA and their efforts to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer, visit their website, www.herafoundation.org

-Oleg