Total Raised - $3271

Friday, June 10, 2011

City of Oklahoma City

That's not a typo, check out their seal! No sooner had I gotten to the OCFD station on 5th Street than we ran a box... for an outhouse on fire. And it was indeed, on fire. Luckily, Engine 1's services were not needed. We returned to the home of Engine 1, Rescue Ladder 1, Engine 51 (closed) and District Chief 601. The guys fed me, and we swapped stories. The OCFD has an interesting rank structure unlike any I've ever seen:
Recruit
Firefighter
Corporal (senior firefighter with additional training, including Apparatus Operator School)
Sergeant (driver)
Lieutenant (senior driver)
Captain (unit officer)
Major (senior captain)

I awoke to a flury of activity in the firehouse. Rigs were being cleaned, compartments vacuumed, and tools polished. Turns out, the Chiefs conduct inspection first thing on Saturday morning, so it's up to the shift working on Friday to make sure the firehouse is up to snuff. Check out one of the engine guys with his "dragonslayer" hook:

Also, they showed me this neat device, called the Bowring. It can be used as a descent device, spanner, handle for 2.5" hose, and more. Check out the video on their website. The tool was invented by an OK City fireman.


And, before I left town...



No comments:

Post a Comment

M.O.C.A.

Motorcycling for Ovarian Cancer Awareness

This summer, I’m riding my Harley across the country and back in 16 days. I’ll be stopping at firehouses along the way to promote awareness about ovarian cancer, because everyone should know the symptoms. While the fire department is a field dominated by men, we have mothers, wives, daughters, girlfriends, and sisters.

I’m asking you to support my journey by donating to the HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. My goal is to raise $6000 for HERA’s mission, a dollar for every mile I ride. They have set up a webpage for me where you can make a tax-deductible donation. HERA is not supporting my journey financially. All of the proceeds that HERA receives will go directly towards their mission. Through a combination of corporate sponsorship and my own funds, I will cover the expenses associated with my journey.

To find out more about HERA and their efforts to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer, visit their website, www.herafoundation.org

-Oleg